Sailing / Yacht Club
Kinsale Yacht Club Marina
Kinsale Yacht Club, as it exists today, was established in 1950. The first Commodore of the club was John H. Thuillier. KYC was first located in two cottages opposite the slip at Scilly, across the harbour from the current location. By the mid 1950’s, there were six boats racing in the club comprising of a dragon called ‘Sleuth’, two colleens, ‘Pinkeen’ and ‘Spalpeen’, an Uffa Ace, Dick Hegarty’s cruiser ‘Bedouin’ and a jollyboat sailed by the 70 year old commodore Brig. Gen. Dorman. Jeanot Petch made an exotic addition to the already varied fleet when he built a Prout catamaran in 1957. Races started off the pierhead sailing to Bulman and back via the harbour marks. The fleet would leave Bulman to port or starboard according to the wind, as the commodore did not want to gybe that far out to sea. Later a 45 gallon drum was placed upriver and used as an upwind mark until the new bridge was built in the 1970’s. All the boats at that time were kept on moorings in the harbour.