Sailing / Yacht Club
It is believed that a "Harwich and Dovercourt Sailing Club" first came into existence in 1907 and continued for several years based on Dovercourt sea front. Unfortunately, there is no evidence as to when or why this club lapsed. On the 14th July 1927 a meeting was held at Mr. W. Garland's Workshop (Kindly lent to hold meetings) for the purpose of those interested in Yachting to form a club. A Mr. W Gay (Who was subsequently elected Commodore) took the chair pro tem and officers were elected. It was proposed and seconded that the club be called "Harwich and Dovercourt Yachting Club" At a meeting held on 22nd September 1927 it was decided that the title "Sailing Club" was more suitable than "Yachting" and the name changed. The club can rightly claim to be the oldest on the River Stour.