The Romanian Nautical Club is the first specialized sport association in Romania exclusively dedicated to water sports (yachting, boating, kayaking &canoeing, swimming, water polo, fishing, Sea Scouting, etc.). Established at Constanta in 1908, the Romanian Nautical Club had the chance to be invited and to participate, as a founder member, in Bucharest, on December 1st – 14th 1912, to the Constituting Meeting of the Federation of the Romanian Sport Societies (FSSR), the first national sport organization reunited under a unique organizational, representative, administrative and conceptual authority, the existing acting sports entities. The first central representative body of the Romanian sports was composed of a series of central commissions: athletics, football-rugby, association football, lawn tennis, fencing, bicycle riding, target shooting, winter sports, nautical sports, gymnastics, rounders-sport, the propaganda commission, the school commission, the commission for the field maintenance, etc. Prince Ferdinand was elected President of FSSR at the very Constituting Meeting (he was King of Romania after 28th September 1914). Beside the constituting sports clubs and societies, other illustrious personalities participated as natural persons-founding members: George Valentin Bibescu, Ion Camarasescu, Dimitrie Ionescu and General Constantin Coanda. Prince carol was appointed Secretary General. The emblem of FSSR was settled to be a blue badge having a central raven holding a cross in its beak and its colours were blue and black.
After World War I, the Romanian Nautical Club seized its activity. References were published in the issue of homage of 1937 of the Marea Nostră magazine (Our Sea) (May-July) in the DOBROGEA 1878-2008 volume, ed. Ex Ponto, 2008, in the chapter The History of Sports in Constanta, signed by journalist Claudiu Val and Dr. Elena Frâncu, in The Romanian Royal Yacht Club – a brief history – album, published by Carmen Irene Atanasiu, in 2010, ed. Yacht Club Român, as well as in the historiography work THE PRESS OF THE ROMANIAN NAVY- a bibliographical dictionary, by Colonel Dr. Marian Mosneagu, issued in 2011 by ed. Militara.
Re-established by sentence no. 7879/212/2010 of the Court of Constanta, at the proposal of some passionate sports fans, the Romanian Nautical Club has its headquarters in Constanta, 32 Callatis Street, 3rd floor, and it owns at present a sports base for training, competitions, and training camp for yachting and boating on the bank of Lake Techirghiol, in the town of Techirghiol at 15 Dr. Victor Climescu Street, close to the balneary sanatorium.
The Romanian Nautical Club has presently an active partnership with the Sport and Youth Departament of Constanta County, the Maritime University of Constanta, the National College Mihai Eminescu – Constanta, by means of which the first Optional course of learning the sailing sport was launched in Romania within the college in the 2011-2012 school year. The model of this optional course will be extended and made permanent in the localities neighbouring the Techirghiol Nautical base and especially in the school network of the Techirghiol town.
The Romanian Nautical Club accredited in the summer of 2011 its first training course four leisure ships steering within the School of Sailing, the theoretical and practical instruction are going to be carried out in the nautical base of Techirghiol and in the education institutions with which we have active partnerships.