East Antrim Boat Club, Larne East Antrim Boat Club, Larne
Sailing / Yacht Club
In 1950 the Club was formed as East Antrim Motor Boat and Cruising Club. Its main interests were racing hydroplanes and cruising to Scotland in a variety of motor cruisers. At the time there was no public swimming pool in the area, so a pool was built and filled with water pumped from Larne Lough. Sailing developed later in the club with the assistance of John McWilliams who introduced the younger members to dinghy sailing. Among the dinghies sailed were Sharpies, OK’s, GP14s and Optimists. Over the years members went on to win championships particularly in GP14s. Many of these dinghy sailors have now moved on to form an enthusiastic keelboat fleet. For over 50 years EABC has been providing exciting racing, a first class base for cruising members and an especially warm welcome for visitors.