The Spray Beach Hotel was built in 1891 following the completion in 1887 of the railroad bridge over the bay, with a spur that stopped in Spray Beach. There was a dock at 23rd Street where a few catboats were moored for the use of the hotel's guests. This activity appeared to have led to the formation of Spray Beach Yacht Club in or around 1922, under the direction of the first commodore, Herman G. Schanche. In 1924, the first clubhouse was erected, about half the size of the current Junior Clubhouse, and two years later, screens were added. Sailing was the primary activity in those early years.