In August 1882, the Minnetonka Yacht Club by-laws and sailing rules were drawn up at Lookout Point. Starting with 25 members, the sailing was social and easy going. Within 5 years, the fleet and membership had more than doubled. The original multi-level clubhouse was built in 1890 on Light House Island, where it burned down in 1943. The replacement clubhouse was built in the place where it stands today.